North Geelong Junction (Loop Line)
Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 68.430 km
Track Diagram: View
Opened: December 20, 1903
North Geelong Junction opened in 1903 when a loop line was provided between the Geelong and Ballarat lines. Before this time trains running from Melbourne to Ballarat via Geelong were required to stop at North Geelong, and change direction due to the lack of a direct route. The new line completed this triangle.
The junction opened and closed a number of times for unknown reasons between opening and 1912. In 1959 the junction itself was relocated closer to Melbourne, as part of a project to upgrade the siding facilities to the nearby grain elevators. In 2002 the loop line became the main route for Ballarat bound trains from Geelong, with the original leg of the triangle being downgraded to a siding.
|December 20, 1903||Loop line provided from new signal box to Moorabool.|
|December 12, 1904||Loop line to be re-opened|
|January 7, 1906||Loop line reopened. Other end of loop now worked from North Geelong C Box.|
|March 12, 1906||Loop line closed.|
|October 18, 1911||Loop line re-opened (but not as running line until further notice) and worked under station yard condtions|
|April 8, 1912||Loop line opened for traffic.|
|June 10, 1912||Loop line closed for traffic.|
|December 2, 1912||Loop line re-opened (but not as running line until further notice)|
|January 1, 1959||Grain siding bridge beneath main line provided (this year)|
|January 18, 1959||New Loop line brought into use between A and C boxes. Old Loop line abolished. New Loop line junction further towards Melbourne and points motor operated.|
|November 1, 1856||Line opened Lara to Geelong|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|February 8, 1959||Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A|
|June 1, 2005||Automatic and Track Control provided North Geelong Junction (Loop Line) - North Geelong Junction|
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.
8 images found. Click them to enlarge.