Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 31.697 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: June 25, 1857
Werribee opened with the Geelong Line on its opening in 1857. Serving the local area, it was also an important crossing place on the single line. Today it is the terminus of suburban services but sees no freight traffic.
The station has 3 platforms, a single platform and heritage building on the down platform, and a modern island platform with roof on the other side. Platform 1 is on a loop road is usually used by suburban trains, while through trains use platforms 2 and 3. However crossovers at both ends allow any train to access any platform.
A subway runs underneath the platforms to provide pedestrian access, with the booking office and signal panel also located there. A small kiosk is also in the subway, constructed from a slab of Comeng suburban train siding.
The station building was originally built in bluestone with sandstone cornerstones, until gutted by fire in 1927. A low pitched tiled roof was provided with cement rendering on the walls.
By 1902 an extensive yard existed centred around the Melbourne end of the station on the southern side. On the other side of the river near the Werribee Street crossing, there was a cattle siding on the north side and a grain siding on the south. Sometime before 1917 two platforms were provided, with a footbridge running between the two. 1928 saw extensions to the crossing loops to permit longer trains on the line.
Terminating passenger services were provided to Werribee from at least the 1950s, and with increasing traffic the line was electrified in 1983. In 1970 a train load of GYs derailed between the platforms, demolishing the station veranda.
Major changes occurred in the early 1980s with the electrification works. The sidings on the opposite side of the river were removed, and the goods yard lost a road. 1983 saw the current station building provided, with a new island platform built and the footbridge replaced by an underpass. Station facilities were also relocated to new quarters in the underpass.
The Safeway supermarket near the station was built upon part of the goods yard removed in the early 1980s. The rest of the goods yard was removed in 1987, with some goods platforms and foundations still visible today.
The station building on platform 3 was refurbished, the work started in 2007 but not completed until late 2008. Costing $584,000 the facade was restored, the front veranda extended, and internal works carried out.
|June 25, 1857||Opened|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|September 1, 1968||Line duplicated Laverton to Werribee|
|October 25, 1970||Line duplicated Werribee to Little River|
|August 5, 1898||Large Electric Staff provided Laverton - Werribee - Little River|
|February 2, 1911||Manor opened. Large Electric Staff section now Werribee - Manor|
|(April 27, 1914)||Miniature Electric Staff provided Laverton - Werribee - Manor|
|April 29, 1928||Automatic and Track Control provided Laverton - Werribee - Manor|
|May 6, 1928||Automatic and Track Control provided Werribee - Manor|
|May 15, 1928||Drome opened. Automatic and Track Control section now Drome - Werribee|
|September 1, 1968||Drome closed. Automatic and Track Control section now Laverton - Werribee|
|October 25, 1970||Manor closed. Automatic and Track Control section now Werribee - Little River|
NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.
9 of 55 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.