Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Opened: October 18, 1938
The International Harvester Company of Australia opened their factory at North Shore on May 22 1939. The plant was located on a plot of land 46 acres (18.55 hectares in size on the corner of The Esplanade and Corio Quay Road.
Built to manufacture farm machinery, the start of World War Two in 1939 changed the focus of the plant to the war effort. In 1948 an automotive section was added, and in 1950 the manufacture of truck components begun at the plant. In 1958 the plant employed 1900 workers, compared to the 150 employed on opening in 1939. The numbers declined after this time, and in 1982 it was announced that the Geelong plant would close due to increased overseas competition and reduced tariffs on imported goods. Today the site of the International Harvester site is occupied by the Midway Woodchip mill.
The lead to the siding from the main line was connected to the Apex Quarries siding in 1982, with the rest of the Phosphate Sidings following in 1984. The IHC siding still existed in 1995 but was later removed.
- 1940s view from onboard a locomotive shunting the siding
- Another 1940s shot, showing the rest of the train
|October 18, 1938||International Harvester Siding provided|
|October 26, 1982||Apex Quarries siding conected to International Harvestors Sdg headshunt.|
|October 20, 1987||Phosphate siding conected to International Harvestors Sdg headshunt.|
|November 1, 1856||Line opened Lara to Geelong|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|February 8, 1959||Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A|