Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 267.301 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: February 4, 1890
Warrnambool is the present terminus of passenger services on the line. The line once continues though to Port Fairy, but has since been truncated. It has historically been the major station the line line beyond Geelong. A short branch once was south from the station yard to the Warrnambool pier.
Electric Staff replaced Train Staff and Ticket in both directions from the station in 1899. Plunger locking of the main line points was provided by 1909. In 1912 the up home signal was converted into a up distant signal, a new up home being provided further in. By 1915 the points and disc signal to the locomotive depot were worked from a two lever ground frame, secured by an Annett Lock. A down departure home signal was provided at this time.
By 1929 the yard had the main line through the platform and two loop sidings, the loco depot at the down end, a number of head end extensions on the north side of the main line for the goods shed, and a number of dead end sidings in both directions on the south side of the yard.
By 1912 McGennan's Siding existed at the down end of the yard, beyond the loco depot. The main line points were secured by a staff lock. In 1933 it was taken over for use as a fuel siding by the Vacuum Oil Coy (Mobil) and the Atlantic Union Oil Coy.
The Gas Works also had their own siding in the station yard, located to the north side of the gas works. It is unknown when it was opened, but was extended by 120 feet in 1953.
The Warrnambool Cattle Sidings were located on the down side of town, at 167 miles, 2 chains, 30 links (around 269 km). In 1929 it had a single lead off the main line, which then split into a loop siding with a headshunt at each end.
An additional siding was added on the south side of number 4 road in 1943.
In December 1961 the signalling at Warrnambool was altered. The dead end extension at the up end of number 2 road was extended, and connected back to the main line with a motor operated set of points. The up and down home signals were converted to colour light signals, all controlled from a panel in the station building. Additional up and down home signals are also provided. In 1963 the home signal from the Warrnambool Pier line was removed.
Also in 1963 the points to the Caltex Oil Siding were spiked normal and the staff lock removed, the siding being abolished in 1966.
In November 1968 the Annett locked connection to the loco depot was moved to the down side of Wellington Street, the turntable was removed by September 1969.
In 1974 the hand gates at the Wellington Street level crossing were replaced by boom barriers, and two semaphore signals were replaced with colour lights. A electric crosslock as provided in the station building for the release of the Annett key.
In November 1977 the line west to Port Fairy was closed, with the line as far as Dennington retained but with Train Staff and Ticket safeworking, under one engine in steam conditions. In April 1988 it was downgraded to a siding.
By 1978/79 the station had six rail served fuel depots, but none saw regular rail traffic. Sleigh had a terminal on railway land, Caltex and Mobil had a siding on railway land but having tanks on private land, and BP, Esso and Shell had everything on their own land. The Esso siding was removed in 1981.
In 1977 the freight centre was opened at the up end of the yard, with signal post 4 needing to be replaced to make room. In 1989 two signal posts and a set of points were removed, along with the control panel, with driver control of signalling in place instead. Train order working was introduced in 1988 with the appropriate signage being erected.
In 1989 the level crossing at Wellington Road was downgraded from boom barriers to flashing lights only, the crossover at the up end was removed, and the signal at the down end of the station was removed along with the plunger locking on the set of points, a hand locking bar and padlock was provided instead. It is assumed these downgrades were carried out due to the line beyond Warrnambool being reclassified as a siding.
West Coast Rail commenced operations of passenger service to Warrnambool in the early 1990s, erecting a carriage shed at the up end of the yard in early 1999. This shed was removed in the sometime after V/Line took over the operation of the passenger service in 2004.
Today the station has three signals, a down home just before the up end points, witth a shunt signal below, and a repeater signal for sighting reasons located 400 metres towards Melbourne, before the line drops down through the cutting. Controlled from a quadrant lever on the platform secured by an Annett lock, both are LED colour lights and were provided in 2008.
As well as the main line (number 1 road) there are three loop roads, the dead end siding for the freight centre, a dead end extension west from number 3 road, and a dead end road to the turntable east from number 4 road.
The up end points have both plunger and Annett locks fitted. The crossover between number 1 and 2 roads, and between number 1 road and the freight centre are provided with Annett locks. In 2008 the points to the freight centre and goods shed were removed.
|February 4, 1890||Opened|
|February 4, 1890||Line opened Terang to Warrnambool|
|May 16, 1940||Panmure opened in Composite Electric Staff section Terang - Warrnambool|
|May 16, 1940||Allansford opened in Composite Electric Staff section Terang - Warrnambool|
|January 17, 1967||Panmure closed in Composite Electric Staff section Terang - Warrnambool|
|December 2, 1987||Staff and Ticket provided Camperdown - Warrnambool|
|(November 13, 1988)||Train Order Working provided Terang - Warrnambool|
9 of 28 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.