Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 96.700 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: October 1, 1877
Closed: April 13, 1985
Moriac opened for traffic on October 1, 1877 as Mount Moriac the name being shortened to Moriac by 1904. It was made a staff and ticket station on June 1, 1878 -but there was only one loop siding until January 1901, when number three road was added. The signalling between 1878 and 1889 was two home signals with hand worked locking bars on the facing points.
Moriac was made the junction of the short branch line south to Wensleydale in 1889. The lines diverged at the down end of the platform with the points facing Melbourne. A home signal was added to the branch line in March 1900 when the sections either side of the station were converted to large electric staff.
The up end points were provided with plunger locking in 1909, with the down end following in 1910. The junction retained a hand locking bar until January 1915 when an Annett lock was fitted. The home signal levers were similarly fitted at the same time. In 1919 the Wensleydale line home signal was placed on the same post as the main line up home signal.
The 1929 track chart of the line showed the platform on the south (down) side of the line, with a three road yard and goods platform. Number two road had a dead end extension at the down end, while number three road had a dead end extension at the Geelong end.
The branch line junction points were spiked on September 27, 1949 with the connection abolished on June 29, 1952 but the home signal was not removed until February 1954. The compound points at the down end of number 2 road were placed by two simple crossovers in January 1958, the dead end extension at the up end of number 3 road was removed by August 1978.
The stationmaster was replaced by a porter in charge in July 1938. It was later worked under caretaker conditions, being made no-one in charge by January 1979. The station was one of five on the line closed to passenger traffic as part of the 'New Deal' on October 5, 1982 but was not closed as an electric staff station until April 13, 1985. The brick platform face remains in place today, as does part of the goods loading back, and a buffer stop at the up end.
|October 1, 1877||Opened|
|April 13, 1985||Closed|
|November 25, 1876||Line opened Geelong to Winchelsea|
|March 29, 1900||Large Electric Staff provided Queenscliff Junction - Moriac|
|August 5, 1901||Queenscliff Junction closed. Large Electric Staff section now South Geelong - Moriac|
|(February 23, 1914)||Duneed opened. Large Electric Staff section now Duneed - Moriac|
|(January 14, 1918)||Geelong Racecourse opened. Large Electric Staff section now Geelong Racecourse - Moriac|
|July 26, 1921||Duneed closed. Large Electric Staff section now South Geelong - Moriac|
|December 12, 1922||Composite Electric Staff provided Grovedale - Moriac|
|September 18, 1928||Miniature Electric Staff provided Geelong Racecourse - Moriac|
|June 15, 1956||Miniature Electric Staff provided South Geelong - Moriac|
|December 12, 1978||Composite Electric Staff provided South Geelong - Moriac - Winchelsea|
9 of 14 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.