Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 123.700 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: August 24, 1911
Closed: November 12, 1956
Armytage opened in 1911 as a crossing station in the Electric Staff section Winchelsea - Birregurra. Up and down home signals were provided, as well as plunger locking. A station master was appointed by February 1912. The 1929 track chart of the line showed the platform on the northern (up) side of the line, opposite a three road yard and goods platform.
The station was disestablished as a crossing station in September 1912, and made a caretaker only station. It was reopened as a crossing station in September 1915, with switch out facilities added in 1917. A station master was reinstated again in 1917, replaced by a caretaker in October 1928. A porter in charge was then appointed, being replaced again by a caretaker in August 1940. The station was made no-one in charge in December 1953.
On June 1, 1954 the station was disestablished as a crossing station, but the instruments and switchout facilities removed. The station was closed to all traffic on July 8, 1954 but was kept open for goods in truck loads. On November 12, 1956 the station was finally closed to all traffic, with the home signals, plunger locking and sidings removed on June 19, 1957.
|August 24, 1911||Opened|
|November 12, 1956||Closed|
|March 13, 1877||Line opened Winchelsea to Birregurra|
9 of 11 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.
- http://www.vrhistory.com/ - Andrew Waugh
- Newsrail - October 2005, page 302. 'Birregurra: Change for Forrest', Rod Milne
- Weekly Notice Extracts - Alan Jungwirth and Keith Lambert