Footscray A Signal Box
Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Opened: July 8, 1879
Closed: November 21, 1976
Footscray A box was opened in 1879 to control the junction of the lines towards Williamstown and Bendigo. Located on the western side of the Melbourne end of the junction, it was initially provided with a 17 lever frame, extended to 18 in January 1901.
It was replaced in October 1901, by a new box of brick construction with a 36 lever frame, due to the rebuilding of the station. In May 1930 the mechanical frame was replaced by a 20 lever power frame.
The signal box and associated junction was abolished when the St Albans line was extended into South Kensington.
|July 8, 1879||Opened|
|November 21, 1976||Closed|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|(July 1, 1898)||Line duplicated South Kensington to Footscray|
|November 21, 1976||Line quadruplicated South Kensington to Footscray|