Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: July 7, 1925
Closed: (May 23, 1995)
Ford Australia opened their manufacturing plant at North Geelong in 1925. The first cars manufactured there were the Model 'T', with production switching to the Model 'A' in 1928. In 1934 a young designer at the Geelong factory developed what became the first 'ute' in response to a letter from a farmers wife who wanted a car suitable for going to church on Sundays and markets on Mondays.
During World War Two the plant turned it's attention to the war effort, producing military vehicles. In 1959 the company bought land at Campbellfield, Broadmeadows for a new factory, and in July 1961 it was announced that Ford's Australian headquarters would move there.
The siding to the factory opened in July 1925. With the opening of the Broadmeadows factory resulted in something new for the railways - car parts traffic between Geelong and the new assembly plant at Campbellfield. The service ran via Melbourne until 1961 when the line from Somerton was opened.
Ordinary wagons were used for the traffic until 40 BFW (later VBCW) boxcars were specially built in 1977, being adorned with Ford logos on the sides. The train ran daily as a direct service until 1990. The main line connection was severed in 1995 when the Standard Gauge line was built, and the sidings themselves built over in 2006 by expansion works at the factory. Today a fleet of B-Triple trucks have replaced the daily train.
|May 27, 1925||Points installed for Ford Motor Car Coy (under construction)|
|July 7, 1925||Ford Siding opened for traffic|
|February 8, 1959||Ford Siding connected to new West Line.|
|March 27, 1987||Catch points in Ford Siding replaced by Hayes derail and crowder|
|(May 23, 1995)||Closed|
|November 1, 1856||Line opened Lara to Geelong|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|February 8, 1959||Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A|