Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 18.101 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: August 17, 1927
Closed: April 14, 1985
Galvin opened in 1927 for passenger traffic near the Maidstone Street level crossing. The nearest residential areas were in Altona to the south. The station was rebuilt in 1965 with duplication of the line, as an island platform located between two two tracks, southwest of the level crossing.
Galvin saw little use, closing in 1985 with the opening of the Altona - Laverton line, and subsequent re-routing of Werribee suburban trains via the new line. The platform was removed and tracks through the station were realigned for 130km/h running in the early 1990s with the introduction of the Sprinter railcars. Today only a wide gap between the tracks remains of the station.
|August 17, 1927||Opened for passenger traffic. NC supervised by SM Newport.|
|May 2, 1965||New island platform provided account duplication Rock - Laverton.|
|April 14, 1985||Closed due to opening of Altona - Laverton line.|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|May 2, 1965||Line duplicated Rock to Laverton|
|October 22, 1967||Line duplicated Altona Junction to Laverton|
Nine of 15 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.
Minor substation for electric trains on the direct route via PaisleyMarch 11, 2007
1945 photo map of Melbourne, produced by the Victorian Department of Lands and Survey, now accessable via the University of Melbourne: