Loco Depot

Yard
Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: May 20, 1917

The current loco depot opened in 1917, replacing an older depot that was located in what is now Geelong Station's main carpark. The depot was an important one for the entire South-Western line; with both main line, shunting and branch line locomotives serviced there.

A 70 foot turntable was provided, as well as a 360 degree roundhouse which was unique to Victoria. It could house 35 locomotives, but was progressively demolished over the years, until the 1960s when little remains. The largest coal stage outside the metropolitan area was located at the depot, 400 foot long by 50 foot wide with a capacity of 2000 tons, with 100 tones being used on a daily basis. It was removed in 1960 and replaced by overhead cranes.

At the peak approximately 35 movement went to the depot every day, with 48 broad and narrow gauge locomotives supervised by the depot, growing to 56 locomotives during grain season. In 1935 there were 290 staff, as well as 67 drivers and 82 firemen and cleaners.

The depot took the form it is today in the 1980s, with the provision of a three road corrugated iron shed beside the turntable, as well as a modern fuel point and sanding tower. A crew office is located to the south of the turntable, but is now leased out to a non-railway organisation. The depot is now managed by EDI Rail, with both Pacific National and V/Line using the fuel point, but with only V/Line using the depot to stable their locomotives. PN uses North Geelong Yard.

A large gantry crane over two roads remains to the west of the main lines, but the sidings are today used for overnight railcar stabling. The stub roads around the turntable are used to stable locomotives overnight and on weekend, as well as the EM100 track recorder when not in use. A additional two road fuel point started construction in 2006 for the use of the Vlocity railcars, but by then end of 2008 is yet to be commissioned. As a result these railcars are fuelled by road tankers.

Diagram


Geelong Loco Depot

  1. Fuel point and sanding tower
  2. Loco shed
  3. Stabling roads
  4. Former crew office
  5. Stabling roads, new DMU fuel point
  6. Gantry crane sidings

Top

Events


May 20, 1917 Opened
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
April 11, 1863 Line duplicated North Geelong Junction to Geelong - due to construction of line to Ballarat

Top

Photos


MAXIMAGES_LOCATIONPAGE of 31 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Top

Sources