Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Junction with: Mortlake Line
Distance from Melbourne: 222.000 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: January 20, 1944
Closed: August 1, 1978
When the line to Mortlake was opened in 1890, the physical junction was located at Terang station, with the railway tracks running parallel for some distance before they diverged.
Mortlake Junction was opened in 1944 where the lines actually diverged, with the recovered rail used elsewhere as the country was at war. Alvie Junction opened outside Colac at the same time for the same reason. An intermediate staff instrument was provided for trains diverging from the main line, along with a home signal for up Mortlake trains. Train Staff and Ticket working was used on the branch line, being worked from Terang station.
|January 20, 1944||Opened|
|August 1, 1978||Closed|
|February 4, 1890||Line opened Terang - Mortlake|
|January 20, 1944||Line singled Terang to Mortlake Junction|
|August 1, 1978||Line closed Terang to Mortlake|