North Geelong Yard
Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 69.900 km
Track Diagram: View
Opened: January 28, 1885
Sidings have existed at North Geelong since at least the 1890s. The first sidings branched from the main line at the southern end, between the junction of the Geelong and Ballarat lines.
1903 saw the opening of North Geelong A and North Geelong C signal boxes, and the provision of a loop line allowing trains to run directly between Melbourne and Ballarat via Geelong, but without needing to may has also resulted in a possible expansion of the yard. 1915 saw the provision of grain sidings on the eastern side of the Geelong line.
Further expansion occurred in 1921, with both the frames in both 'A' and 'C' signal boxes being expanded, as well as the duplication of the Ballarat line between 'C' and 'B' boxes. Duplication of the Geelong line between 'A' and 'B' boxes followed in 1922.
1959 saw the next round of changes, with a new underpass provided to serve the Harbour Trust and grain silos. This allowed freight trains to pass under the main line without blocking other traffic. This change resulted in the western side of the yard becoming more important. The bulk of the yard was as it looks today.
Minor changes occurred in 1964, when the line between 'B' and 'C' boxes was singled. In 2005 it was downgraded to a siding.
1981 saw the line to the silos converted into a balloon loop, and the provision of new sidings between Separation Street and Thompson Road for grain trains. 1995 saw the provision of Standard Gauge though the northern end of the yard as part of the Western SG line, but it was not until 2002 that the SG was provided to the grain loop. Even today SG trains are not able to run around at North Geelong, only being able to run through on the main line, or reverse on the Grain Loop.
Further changes to the grain loop are were made as part of the Corio Independent Goods Line project, with additional standard gauge sidings to be provided at the north end as part of the Geelong Rail Access Improvement Project.
In August 2006 entry to the sidings west of the main lines was made easier when the points and signals were connected to the Geelong Signal Control Centre. on the eastern side in 2008 the sidings were cleared of stored wagon and upgraded by track access provider V/Line for use as a refuge loop for freight services. Also in
The main use of the yard was for collection of wagons from the various local industries. The usage of North Geelong Yard has declined along with such freight traffic.
Sidings 'A' to the west of the Geelong main line are the most active, receiving trains from Melbourne and Warrnambool, which are then remarshalled for the shunt moves to Shell Refinery, Midway Siding, and the Waurn Ponds cement works.
A siding to the south once served the V/Line Geelong Freightgate, but by the 2000s passed to Wettenhauls Transport who received louvred vans full of beer. They moved out of the facility to the warehouses at Elders IXL Siding in mid 2008, after PN ended the Fast Track service in 2007. The former Fyansford and Grain sidings are used for storing mothballed wagons. The sorting sidings are now the home of a wagon repair facility. Sidings 'C' are used to stable locomotives due to the external ownership of the Geelong Loco Depot.
Red is main lines. Grey is sidings. Black is roads. Green is removed / unused trackage.
- Fyansford Sidings (2 tracks)
- Sorting Sidings (9 tracks, road 1 through 10)
- Weighbridge Sidings (4 tracks, road 11 through 13B)
- Weighbridge Sidings and weighbridge [both removed] (4 tracks, road 1 though 5)
- (9 tracks, roads 14A through 21)
- Sidings 'A' (5 tracks, roads 23 through 27)
- Grain Sidings (5 tracks, 'W', 'X' and 'Y')
- Sidings 'E'(5 tracks)
- Sidings 'A' (2 tracks)
- Sidings 'C' (4 tracks)
|January 28, 1885||Opened|
|November 1, 1856||Line opened Lara to Geelong|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|April 30, 1922||Line duplicated North Geelong A to North Geelong B|
9 of 22 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.