North Shore Station
Line: Melbourne - Geelong - Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 67.172 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite / Map
Opened: April 15, 1895
North Shore is another quiet station, often seeing only every second train stop for passengers. It has an island platform between the broad gauge tracks, with two bus shelters provided for waiting passengers. The up end of the platform is on stilts and is narrower than the rest. Access is via a pedestrian crossing over two tracks. The carpark is located beside Station Street.
The standard gauge line is to the west and has a short platform on the opposite site. A large number of sidings are located on the eastern side of the station, serving the Apex Quarries / Boral asphalt plant and the Midway Siding.
North Shore opened as a 'Flag station' for passengers in 1895. For the next few years the station saw very little use, not appearing on traffic returns. In 1909 the station was renamed to 'Corio', with the name changing back in 1913.
Industrial development in the area commenced in 1899 with the opening of the Freezing Works siding. Further sidings were built in the 1920s for Ford and the Phosphate Works. The International Harvester siding followed in 1938.
Shunting the large number of industrial sidings in the area delayed trains on the single track main line, so in the 1950s the decision was made to duplicate the line from North Geelong to Corio. A new island platform was provided, with both lines were set up for bi-directional running. The upgrades were completed in 1959. 1967 saw further track changes, with the sidings to the Phosphate Works being extended to the north. In 1982 the Apex Quarries siding was provided.
The last round of changes occurred in 1995 with the construction of the Standard Gauge line parallel to the main line, and the disconnection of the Ford Siding. After reconstruction in 1959 North Shore was only provided with a small waiting shed on the platform. By the 1990s it had been replaced by a pair of bus shelters. The provision of platform 3 for interstate trains on the standard gauge line was not carried out until 1999, with work beginning in April and completed by May.
From 2008 the adjacent sidings have been rebuilt in conjunction with the Corio Independent Goods Line / Geelong Rail Access Improvement Project. Purple Viclink signage was provided in June 2008.
|April 15, 1895||'North Shore' opened as a Flag station for passenger traffic|
|September 27, 1909||Renamed Corio|
|September 27, 1909||Renamed North Shore|
|December 1, 1909||Caretaker provided. Supervised by SM Lara|
|June 23, 1925||Intermediate Electric Staff Instrument provided to work Phosphate and Fords Siding|
|February 8, 1959||Station relocated 600 feet in Up direction and island platform (318 feet long, 600 feet north of North Shore Road) provided.|
|May 24, 1960||Platform extended to 480 feet|
|November 1, 1856||Line opened Lara to Geelong|
|June 25, 1857||Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne|
|October 3, 1857||Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne|
|January 17, 1859||Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station|
|February 8, 1959||Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A|
Nine of 43 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.