Aircraft Siding

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 23.331 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: February 10, 1925
Closed: July 27, 1978

Aircraft Siding opened in 1925 as 'Aviation Siding' to serve the adjacent Air Force base. The name changed to 'Aircraft Siding' in 1925. Passenger traffic ceased in 1964 when a new platform was opened further up the line at Aircraft. The siding was abolished in 1978. The gates in the air force base fence for the siding are still visible today.


February 10, 1925 Opened
July 27, 1978 Closed
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
September 1, 1968 Line duplicated Laverton to Werribee



NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.



2 images found. Click them to enlarge.