Allansford Station

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Closed: July 31, 1984

Allansford station was located in the centre of the town of the same name, between Station Street and Carrrolls Road.

The 1929 track chart shows the station with a passenger platform on the north side of the line, opposite a three road yard and goods platform. At the down end of the station was a single dead end siding, which ran from number 2 road, over number 1 road, and then to the north side of the line. In 1948 the livestock siding was extended to form a loop, connected to the main line at the down end by an Annett locked set of points.

By December 1909 plunger locking had been provided on the main line points. In 1940 Allansford was altered so that it could be switched out, being able to open as a Intermediate Composite Electric Staff Block Point in the Terang - Warrnambool section, as long as Panmure was not switched in at the same time. Allansford was closed as an Electric Staff station in 1978, leaving Panmure as a switching station in the Terang - Warrnambool section.

The stationmaster was withdrawn in November 1978, the station being worked as no-one in charge. The station was one of five on the line closed to passenger traffic as part of the 'New Deal' of 1981. All points and signals were abolished on July 31, 1984.


July 31, 1984 Closed
Line Opened
February 4, 1890 Line opened Terang to Warrnambool
(April 7, 1925) Garvoc opened in Composite Electric Staff section Panmure - Allansford
May 16, 1940 Allansford opened. Composite Electric Staff section now Terang - Allansford - Warrnambool



NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

 Allansford 1929