Altona Station

Line: Altona
Distance from Melbourne: 17.148 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: November 17, 1917

The present Altona station was opened in 1917 when the Victorian Railway recommenced operation passenger trains of the Altona line. It replaced the older Altona Beach station, and took it's name. The VR took control of the line and station on October 1, 1924 and electric trains commenced operation on October 2, 1926. The name was shorted to Altona in 1938.

By 1953 a loop siding was provided beside the platform, 600 ft (approx 200 m) in length. The up end of the loop was fitted with a Staff Lock, and a point indicator were provided, but no fixed signals. The guard acted as Station Master for trains at the station, and if the train arrived / departed without using the loop siding no entry in the Train Register Book was required.

The Altona Coal Company had a private siding at the down end of the station. VR locomotives were not permitted past the level crossing at McBain Street, which was located 60 yards (approx 60 metres) beyond the down end of the platform loop siding. A scotch block was provided at the up end of the siding, with inbound trucks left just inside by the VR, and outbound trucks placed there by the Company, who used their own haulage.

By 1974 the siding had been reduced to 462 feet in length and the up end points removed. The down end points fitted with a switchlock, with 459 feet of the coal siding retained as a headshunt. By 1984 the siding had been removed, and in 1985 the extension through to Westona and Laverton was opened.


November 17, 1917 Opened
Line Opened
November 17, 1917 Line opened Altona Beach to Altona
January 20, 1985 Line opened Altona to Westona
November 17, 1917 Staff and Ticket provided Williamstown Racecourse - Altona
October 22, 1967 Automatic and Track Control provided Altona Junction - Altona



Nine of 24 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.


Related Locations