Angliss's Siding

Industry
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: October 16, 1905
Closed: January 15, 1970

Angliss's Siding was provided for the meat works, freezing works and abattoir of the same name, located on the western bank of the Maribyrnong River in Footscray. The meatworks located in the vicinity of the Beevers Street / Jamieson Avenue area.

The siding was a switchback from the main line. In 1953 the siding was connected to the down main line at Footscray Junction, with a falling grade along the siding of 1 in 40 towards South Kensington, until ending in buffer stops above a 30 ft (10 metre) drop. The end of the switchback could hold 10 medium trucks and the locomotive.

No run around facilities were provided at the siding, so trains were required to run around at Footscray station on the Williamstown lines. If doing so would delay other trains, the train would be sidetracked into the siding, then run back onto the main line to run around at a later time. If sidetracking would also delay other trains, then the train would continue to West Footscray to run around.

At the works themselves three sidings were provided, leading off a common lead were a scotch block was provided. The traffic was inbound empty wagons, with loaded wagons outbound. It is assumed the outbound traffic was iced wagons of meat, livestock being delivered via the bridge over the Maribyrnong River from the adjacent saleyards to the east.

Events


(October 16, 1905) Angliss’s Siding provided. Leads from Down main line
November 4, 1956 Connection from Down line to Angliss’s Siding abolished. New facing connection provided from Up line
January 15, 1970 Angliss’s Siding abolished
Line Opened
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
(July 1, 1898) Line duplicated South Kensington to Footscray
November 21, 1976 Line quadruplicated South Kensington to Footscray

Top

Aerial Photos


1945 photo map of Melbourne, produced by the Victorian Department of Lands and Survey, now accessable via the University of Melbourne:

1945 aerial photo of Angliss's Siding

Sources