Australian Carbon Black Siding

Industry
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 15.208 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: November 8, 1964
Closed: August 19, 1990

A siding was first provided for the Australian Carbon Black petrochemical works in 1964. The company hired a R class steam locomotive for use as a stationary boiler. The siding was abolished in August 1990, with the site was later being occupied largely by Cabot Australasia (a paint manufacturer) until demolition in 2006.

Events


November 8, 1964 Siding opened, points spiked
December 1, 1964 Siding open for traffic
August 19, 1990 Siding abolished
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated Altona Junction to Laverton

Top

Sources