Corio Station

Station
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 63.944 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: September 15, 1890

Corio is a little used station on the Geelong line, often seeing only every second train stop for passengers. It is unstaffed and in an isolated location between paddocks and the Shell Refinery. It has an island platform, with the east line running straight while the west line is curved. A cream brick station building in the middle of the platform but disused, with a pedestrian crossing over one track at the Geelong end providing access, with the carpark on the eastern side of the line. Crossovers at the down end provide access between both tracks, and to the Shell siding.

History


Corio first opened in 1890 as 'Cowies Creek'. It saw little use, with the station being relocated in 1914 a quarter mile down the line. With heaver traffic on the main line, it became an important crossing loop in the section North Geelong - Lara. The line from Geelong to Corio was duplicated in 1959 to help relieve congestion from the multiple industrial sidings located in the area.

In 1981 the line towards Lara was duplicated with a new island platform and station building being provided. By the mid 1990s staffing was withdrawn from Corio and the station was boarded up. The former Station Master's house between the line and the refinery was removed in the early 2000s. Purple Viclink signage was provided in June 2008.

Top

Events


September 15, 1890 Station provided at 63.567 km / 39 1/2 miles. Named 'Cowie's Creek'
May 9, 1904 Renamed 'Cowie' from 'Cowie's Creek'
December 1, 1913 Renamed 'Corio' from 'Cowie'
January 8, 1914 Original station closed. Station relocated 1/4 mile on the down side.
August 31, 1914 Opened for inwards light goods
September 28, 1926 Automatic Electric Staff Exchanger provided
November 24, 1958 Works siding provided at Down end as an extension of Siding A.
September 19, 1981 Platform replaced by new island platform opposite former site. Mechanical interlocking and old panel replaced by new panel with switch out facilites.
January 3, 2001 Remote control of Corio panel provided at North Geelong 'A'
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A
September 19, 1981 Line duplicated Lara to Corio
Safeworking
January 8, 1914 Corio opened. Large Electric Staff section now Lara - Corio - North Geelong A
(April 27, 1914) Miniature Electric Staff provided Lara - Corio - North Geelong A
August 26, 1928 Automatic and Track Control provided Lara - Corio - North Geelong A
(September 4, 1928) Automatic and Track Control provided Lara - Corio

Top

Diagrams


NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

Top

Photos


Nine of 22 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

New Viclink signage

July 05, 2008

New Viclink signage

July 05, 2008

New Viclink signage

July 05, 2008

Timetable case at Corio

July 28, 2007

School Road level crossing

January 13, 2007

Top

Related Locations


Sources