Cowies Creek

Lines: Geelong and WarrnamboolCorio Independent Goods Line
Distance from Melbourne: 68.097 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: November 1, 1856

The twin broad gauge lines cross on a bridge with bluestone abutments. A second bridge was built to the west in 1995 for the standard gauge line. A third bridge was built in 2008 for the Corio Independent Goods Line, and is much longer than the others as it was built with abutments much further back from the creek edge.


November 1, 1856 Opened
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A