Essendon Flyover

Essendon Flyover
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 2.695 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: January 20, 1922

The Essendon Flyover was opened in 1922 when an extra pair of tracks was provided for Essendon line trains (now Craigieburn) from Kensington to Spencer Street, as part of the electrification of the Melbourne suburban network. The flyover allowed suburban trains (using the western side of Spencer Street Station) to avoid conflicting moves with country trains (from the eastern side).

As originally constructed it consisted of four tracks on the top level running towards Essendon, above four tracks that led towards South Kensington. The tracks on top consisted of a pair for passenger traffic that ran via the platforms at North Melbourne, and a pair for freight traffic to Melbourne Yard.

In 1986 the flyover was rebuilt with only the two tracks for passenger traffic running along the top, with new concrete spans on the existing abutments.

The pair of goods lines was removed due to the reduced use of Melbourne Yard, the Main Goods Lines through Melbourne Yard only leading to South Kensington. The importance of the route had declined with the alternate route of the Albion - Jacana freight line and the Bunbury Street tunnel.


January 20, 1922 Opened
Line Opened
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
January 20, 1922 Line amplified to six tracks Southern Cross to Essendon Flyover