Footscray B Signal Box

Signal Box
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Opened: January 11, 1885
Closed: July 14, 1957

Footscray B box was opened in 1885 in conjunction with the hand gates at Napier Street. Provided with a 5 lever frame, it was located on the down side of the crossing.

By 1899 the frame had 12 levers. In 1927 automatic signalling left the box only controlling the home signals for the gates. It was abolished in 1957 with the replacement of the gates by a road underpass.


January 11, 1885 Opened
July 14, 1957 Closed
Line Opened
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
(January 19, 1887) Line duplicated Footscray to Yarraville


Related Locations