Forrest Station

Line: Forrest
Distance from Melbourne: 166.200 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: June 5, 1891
Closed: March 4, 1957

The town of Forrest was the creation of the railway. The station was originally named Yaugher but soon changed to Forrest after Charles Forrest, the local Member of Parliament responsible for having the line built.

The station served as a railhead for Barramunga, Skenes Creek and Apollo Bay, until the completion of an all weather road over the ranges in 1927 saw completion from road transport.

The original station layout included a passenger platform 60 metre long fronting the main line, run around loop and goods loop. A dead end siding had a 53 foot turntable, but no water or coal facilities were provided. A gate house was located beside the level crossing at the north end of the yard.

A total of six timber tramways were built outwards from Forrest station; headed south, south east and west. In 1897 a six ton derrick crane was installed, and in 1909 a goods shed installed along with an additional loop siding, and a dead end siding at the north end. The sidings were further modified in 1945 to separate number 1 and 2 road from the timber sidings in number 3 and 4 roads.


June 5, 1891 Opened
March 4, 1957 Closed
Line Opened
June 5, 1891 Line opened Birregurra to Forrest
June 5, 1891 Staff and Ticket provided Birregurra - Forrest
Line Closed
March 4, 1957 Line closed Birregurra to Forrest