Freezing Works

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Opened: August 31, 1899
Closed: ((April 19, 1932))

The Western and Wimmera Districts Freezing Company opened their freezing plat at North Shore in 1896 for the preparation of frozen meat for export to England. The first shipment was on the steamer 'Gulf of Bothnia' in September 1896.

A rail connection was provided to the site in 1899. The points faced Down trains and were secured by Staff lock. The siding was 1/2 mile long, falling downgrade towards the buffers. A loop siding was provided beyond the unloading gates.

The plant itself was sold only five years after opening, and it is believed the plant had closed by the late 1920s.


August 31, 1899 Siding provided for Wimmera and Western District Freezing Works (41 3/4m). Points face Down trains and are secured by Staff lock. Siding is 1/2 mile long, falling to buffers. Loop siding provided beyond unloading gates.
June 18, 1924 Portion of Freezing Works Siding made into a loop siding.
June 25, 1924 New siding for Phosphate Co-op Coy of Australia provided. Leads off Freezing Works Siding at Up end.
July 12, 1927 Freezing Works siding up end connection abolished.
April 19, 1932 Geelong Freezing Works siding (Fletcher’s) disconnected from Phosphate Siding and out of use
((April 19, 1932)) Closed
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A