Line: Fyansford
Distance from Melbourne: 75.558 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: September 9, 1918

Fyansford opened with the line in 1918, serving the adjacent cement works, with a public siding also provided for goods in full wagon loads. The points at the up end were secured by a staff lock, no signals were provided with the yard being worked under no-one in charge conditions.

The sidings at Fyansford were in two main parts. A yard was provided by the Victorian Railways on the Up side of McCurdy Road for the marshalling of trains, with this leading into six sidings at the level crossing at McCurdy Road. Between 1921 and 1925 a coal handling system was constructed, consisting of a rail mounted steam shovel with a one tonne bucket unloaded wagons into a 1500 tonne storage yard, or a 18,000 tonne open dump.

A conveyor system was also built between the plant and the top of the hill, as well as bagged and bulk despatch depots. The first four cement silos were erected in 1922, with four more following in 1924. All were of 1200 tonnes capacity each. In 1948/49 additional private sidings were provided in conjunction with the expansion of the cement works. Also at this time the public siding was moved to the western side of the yard, at the up end.

By 1961 a wagon weighbridge was provided on number 3 road, with 120 feet of the public siding needing to be slewed to a new alignment. Siding facilities at the plant in 1965 consisted of a total of eight sidings serving the coal gantry grab crane, bulk cement silos, and a bagged cement loading point. Six tracks crossed McCurdy Road from the VR yard into the cement works, with flashing lights not provided until 1979.


September 9, 1918 Opened
Line Opened
September 9, 1918 Line opened Fyansford Line Junction to Fyansford
September 9, 1918 Staff and Ticket provided Fyansford Line Junction - Fyansford



NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

 Fyansford on opening


Related Locations