Geelong A Signal Box

Signal Box
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: January 28, 1884
Closed: June 2005

Known as Geelong C until 1903, signal box Geelong A was opened in 1884 with the provision of signal interlocking to Geelong Station. It was initially provided with a 20 lever frame, and controlled the interlocked gates at Latrobe Terrace as well as the lines between North Geelong and what was then known as Geelong B (referred to here as Geelong C)

It was renamed Geelong A in 1903. 1909 saw the provision of the current signal box and a new 74 lever frame, when the box take control of the tracks to the platforms (formerly under Geelong C) . The frame was extended in 1917 to 105 levers.

1981 saw the interlocked gates at Latrobe Terrace replaced by an overpass, and in 1985 the crossing work at the entrance to the station simplified. Further changes occurred in 1989 when Geelong B box was abolished, and a panel provided.

The final round of changes occurred in 2005 with the Regional Fast Rail project resulting decommissioning of all mechanical signalling at Geelong. A new computer based interlocking was provided for the area, controlled from computer terminals at the Geelong Signal Control Centre.

For the 150th anniversary of the Geelong railway opening the Geelong & South Western Rail Heritage Society proposed for the signal box be opened for public inspection, this was cancelled due to those in charge not being happy with the access to the signal box for the public. By 2008/09 the windows of the signal box had been covered with plywood, to prevent any more glass being broken.

In mid March 2010 work started on repainted the signal box, by early May work was completed, with clear perspex sheeting replacing the plywood over the windows.


January 28, 1884 Opened
June 2005 Closed
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
April 11, 1863 Line duplicated North Geelong Junction to Geelong - due to construction of line to Ballarat
June 22, 1941 Track Block provided North Geelong B - Geelong A



9 images found. Click them to enlarge.


Related Locations