Geelong B Signal Box

Signal Box
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: May 26, 1884
Closed: December 10, 1989

Originally known as Geelong A until 1903, and Geelong B until 1909, signal box Geelong B was opened in 1884 with the provision of signal interlocking to Geelong Station. It was also known as 'Railway Terrace' box and was located on the south-eastern side of the level crossing. Originally provided with a 25 lever frame, this signal box controlled the down end of Geelong Station from the platforms to the tunnel.

A new 30 lever frame was provided in 1889, and 1917 saw a new 50 lever frame provided when the signal box was relocated to the end of platforms 2 and 3, along with a reconfiguration of the down end of the station. This signal box still remains today, although boarded up.

1989 saw the final round of changes when Geelong B was abolished and the centre platform road in the station removed. A panel was provided at Geelong A to control the area, and the signalling on the short distance of line between Geelong and South Geelong was altered to be under the control of Geelong.

Events


May 26, 1884 Opened
December 10, 1989 Closed
Line Opened
November 25, 1876 Line opened Geelong to Winchelsea
Safeworking
May 9, 1892 Staff and Ticket provided Geelong B - South Geelong
March 29, 1900 Large Electric Staff provided Geelong B - South Geelong
June 20, 1928 Miniature Electric Staff provided Geelong B - South Geelong

Top

Photos


1 images found. Click them to enlarge.

Windows now boarded up

August 30, 2005

Top

Related Locations


Sources