Geelong Grammar Siding

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 62.800 km
Track Diagram: View
Opened: April 19, 1912
Closed: ((May 24, 1955))

The Geelong Grammar School siding opened on 19 April 1912. It was a dead end siding that left the main line on the north side of School Road then curved eastwards. The railway siding was abolished in 1956.

The siding opened to transport building materials for the school located to the east. A light railway with steel rail was constructed between the siding and the site. Over the next five years 10,000 tons of material were transferred on it. Horses and gravity were the motive power. The tram appeared to be in use until about 1920.


April 19, 1912 Opened
((May 24, 1955)) Closed
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
September 19, 1981 Line duplicated Lara to Corio