Geelong Tunnel

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: November 25, 1876

The Geelong Tunnel was built as pat of the extension of the Geelong line towards Colac. It runs underneath the edge of the town centre between McKillop and Ryrie Streets. It is 422 metres long.

Construction begun on October 15th 1874, and the first passenger train run though the tunnel on January 13th 1876. The first public train ran on February 4th the same year.


November 25, 1876 Opened
Line Opened
November 25, 1876 Line opened Geelong to Winchelsea



4 images found. Click them to enlarge.

Up end of the Geelong tunnel

February 03, 2006

Inside the tunnel

From inside a train, looking back towards South Geelong

November 28, 2005