Laverton Signal Box

Signal Box
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Opened: May 26, 1899

In 1899 Laverton was interlocked with a 12 lever frame on the platform and a 2 lever ground frame at the down end points. 1912 saw it replaced by a new 30 lever frame.

A relay panel replaced the mechanical frame in 1968 with the duplication of the line. The panel was moved into a new station building in 1969. Switchout facilities were provided in 1971 allowing trains to run when the signal panel was unstaffed.

A new panel was provided in 1985 with the opening of the Westona Line, and remote control from Newport was provided in 1986.


May 26, 1899 Interlocked with 12 lever frame on platform and 2 lever frame at Down end working the Down end points.
June 26, 1912 New 30 lever interlocked frame provided and auxiliary frame at Down end abolished. Siding A and B provided for crossing.
April 29, 1928 Siding B connected to main line at Down end via motor operated points.
May 2, 1965 Line duplicated Rock - Laverton. Panel provided to work points and signal at the Up end.
December 1, 1967 Access to Aircraft Siding via new line from Down end of yard.
February 18, 1968 Back platform road provided. Mechanical frame replaced by relay panel.
June 1, 1969 Relay panel relocated in new station building.
February 28, 1971 Switch out facilities provided. When Laverton switched out all Up trains must run on West line, and all Down trains on East line, between Altona Junction and Werribee.
February 15, 1985 New panel provided.
October 11, 1986 Control transferred to Newport. Local panel fitted with switchout lever.
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
September 1, 1968 Line duplicated Laverton to Werribee


Related Locations