Manor Station

Station
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 39.600 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: February 2, 1911
Closed: November 1, 1970

Opened as a crossing loop halfway between Werribee and Little River in 1911, a passenger platform and goods facilities were first provided in 1914. Manor was a quiet station, with no township and only a few houses located nearby. For most of it's life it was a conditional stop for passenger trains. The platform was located on the southern side of the line.

The only major source of traffic was the quarry located to the south west, that is still visible from the line today. Known as the 'VR Quarry Siding' it was added in 1920 and possibly closed by the 1950s.

Manor was closed when the line though it was duplicated in 1970. Today the Stationmaster's house still remains, though in private ownership, and the nearby standard gauge crossing loop carries on the Manor name.

Events


February 2, 1911 Opened a crossing loop
June 26, 1914 Passenger platform and No 3 road provided
January 13, 1920 Crosslock provided for Quarry Siding
March 20, 1936 Dead end of siding B abolished
May 16, 1968 No 3 road abolished
October 25, 1970 All points and signals abolished - line duplicated Werribee <-> Little River
November 1, 1970 Closed to all traffic
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
October 25, 1970 Line duplicated Werribee to Little River
Safeworking
February 2, 1911 Manor opened. Large Electric Staff section now Werribee - Manor - Little River
(April 27, 1914) Miniature Electric Staff provided Werribee - Manor - Little River
April 29, 1928 Automatic and Track Control provided Werribee - Manor
July 15, 1928 Automatic and Track Control provided Manor - Little River
October 25, 1970 Manor closed. Automatic and Track Control section now Werribee - Little River

Top

Diagrams


NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

Top

Photos


2 images found. Click them to enlarge.

Top

Related Locations


Sources