Midway Siding

Lines: Geelong and WarrnamboolCorio Independent Goods Line
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map

The Midway Woodchip Mill had a siding provided in 2003 to allow logs to be brought by rail from Bairnsdale and Wodonga. The logs are turned into woodchips, then transported by conveyor to the adjacent Corio Quay North for loading onto ships for overseas export. The mill itself is located on the side of the former International Harvester factory. Wagons are brought to the siding as a shunt from North Geelong Yard, usually by Y class locos. The logs are unloaded in the siding by front end loaders equipped with grab claws.

The siding itself is dual gauge, but only a broad gauge connection was initially provided to the phosphate sidings and the main line. It was not until the Corio Independent Goods Line was provided in 2008 that standard gauge trains could access the siding. The line crosses both Bayside Road and The Esplanade on the level, before entering the site via a gate, and running about 200m inside the site before reaching a dead end.

In November 2008 the log traffic from Wodonga ceased when the broad gauge line was closed for gauge conversion, the use of a standard gauge train being possible but not done by train operator Pacific National. It also believed that the supply of logs stopped when the timberfellers relocated elsewhere. The log traffic from Bairnsdale ended in March 2009 when Pacific National increased the cost to Midway of running the train. Operation of the train was restarted soon after but on a less frequent basis until around June 2009, running a few days a week rather than daily like before.


Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A



Nine of 20 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

More lambs to the slaughter?

December 17, 2006

Current wood chipper

December 17, 2006

Rows of logs

December 17, 2006