Newport Freezing Works

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Opened: April 27, 1883
Closed: 1993

A freezing works once existed at Newport South. A number of sidings were provided, branching off to the south of the line. One siding branched off the the up end of the Champion Road level crossing, the path taken still apparent today in the curved boundary of the adjacent TAFE college. The other group of sidings branched off from the down end of the crossing.


April 27, 1883 Opened
1993 Closed
Line Opened
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
(March 18, 1885) Line duplicated Newport to Newport South
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated Newport South to Altona Junction


Aerial Photos

1945 photo map of Melbourne, produced by the Victorian Department of Lands and Survey, now accessable via the University of Melbourne:

1945 aerial photo of Newport Freezing Works