Newport South

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Junction with: Altona Line
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: April 27, 1883

Newport South was opened to serve the Newport Freezing Works in 1883. It grew in importance in 1885 when it was made the junction of the Geelong line and the new Williamstown Racecourse line, which was later extended to become the Altona line. Newport South was also known as 'Newport B' box or Newport South Junction.

The short section of track from Newport was duplicated in 1885, with a skewed delta crossover provided between the three routes. The down line ran into the single track Geelong line via a crossover, with up trains running straight through but with a slew to the left. The Altona line ran to the east of the main line, via a slew to the left. The delta crossover was replaced by a pair of normal crossovers in 1937.

On the up side of the signal box was a number of loop sidings, which rejoined the mainline at Newport. In 1966 the sidings on the western (up) side were rationalised, with a third main line constructed that ran behind Newport platform 1, so that freight trains accessing the Newport - Sunshine line could bypass the passenger platforms. Newport South ceased to be a junction when the line was duplicated through to Laverton, with the Altona Junction opened at the actual divergence of the lines.

Today Newport South is where the broad gauge track leading to the Newport-Sunshine Line diverges from the Geelong line, as well as being where bidirectional running commences towards Geelong.

The track arrangement at Newport South dates back to before the duplication of the line towards Laverton, with both up and down trains required to diverge through a 65 km/h set of turnouts in order to follow the normal up and down running directions, causing unnecessary wear to the track and rough riding to passengers. Only down trains from Newport heading onto the East Line towards Laverton do not need to change tracks, but this is not a normal mode of operation of the line.

In July 2011 work started on a connection between Newport South and the new stabling sidings under construction at Newport Workshops. These five double ended stabling sidings are numbered roads 13 through 17. The down end connection requires a single bridge to be constructed over the oil pipelines that parallel the main Geelong line tracks, as of December 2011 the tracks have still to be connected between the sidings and the main line. It was hoped that this work will result in the removal of the 65 km/h diverge through the points for both up and down trains on the mainline, but that was wishful thinking - the original layout was retained.

Signal box

The signal box at Newport South opened in 1886 when the line was duplicated from Newport to the Newport Meat Siding. A 24 lever frame was provided. In 1910 a new 31 lever frame was provided. This frame was replaced by one the same size in 1946.

The signal box also controlled the adjacent Champion Road level crossing gates. In 1931 remote control of Rock Loop was provided, this being the first panel in Victoria.

1967 saw the duplication of the line towards Laverton, and control of lines in that direction was transferred to Newport 'A' box. The box at Newport South remained to control the interlocked gates at Champion Road until 1977, when they were converted to boom barriers, the box abolished, and control of points and signals moved to Newport 'A'.



April 27, 1883 Newport Meats Siding opened for truck loads
August 4, 1886 Robb's new siding (provided?)
February 22, 1887 Williamstown Racecourse line provided
May 14, 1891 Siding A provided
June 5, 1910 New Siding A provided on Up side of line to Newport
June 5, 1910 Siding C provided?
November 29, 1929 Through Siding E provided (extension of Siding C)
November 13, 1937 Scissors crossover replaced by two normal crossovers
June 14, 1940 Two additional freezing works sidings provided
August 26, 1940 Freezing Works siding no 4 provided for Sims Cooper Freezing Works, leading off siding E
(December 14, 1971) Freezing Works siding no 4 spiked out of use
March 29, 1976 Freezing Works siding no 3 removed from service
Line Opened
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
April 7, 1885 Line opened Newport South to Williamstown Racecourse
Track Amplified
(March 18, 1885) Line duplicated Newport to Newport South
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated Newport South - Altona Junction
(March 18, 1885) Double Line Block provided Newport - Newport South
April 7, 1885 Staff and Ticket provided Newport South - Williamstown Racecourse
August 5, 1898 Large Electric Staff provided Newport South - Laverton
(April 27, 1914) Miniature Electric Staff provided Newport South - Laverton
April 29, 1928 Automatic and Track Control provided Newport South - Laverton
May 15, 1928 Rock opened. Automatic and Track Control section now Newport South - Rock
March 31, 1946 Automatic Block System provided Newport - Newport South
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated Newport South - Altona Junction



Nine of 14 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.