North Geelong Junction (Loop Line)

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 68.430 km
Track Diagram: View
Opened: December 20, 1903

North Geelong Junction opened in 1903 when a loop line was provided between the Geelong and Ballarat lines. Before this time trains running from Melbourne to Ballarat via Geelong were required to stop at North Geelong, and change direction due to the lack of a direct route. The new line completed this triangle.

The junction opened and closed a number of times for unknown reasons between opening and 1912. In 1959 the junction itself was relocated closer to Melbourne, as part of a project to upgrade the siding facilities to the nearby grain elevators. In 2002 the loop line became the main route for Ballarat bound trains from Geelong, with the original leg of the triangle being downgraded to a siding.


December 20, 1903 Loop line provided from new signal box to Moorabool.
December 12, 1904 Loop line to be re-opened
January 7, 1906 Loop line reopened. Other end of loop now worked from North Geelong C Box.
March 12, 1906 Loop line closed.
October 18, 1911 Loop line re-opened (but not as running line until further notice) and worked under station yard condtions
April 8, 1912 Loop line opened for traffic.
June 10, 1912 Loop line closed for traffic.
December 2, 1912 Loop line re-opened (but not as running line until further notice)
January 1, 1959 Grain siding bridge beneath main line provided (this year)
January 18, 1959 New Loop line brought into use between ‘A’ and ‘C’ boxes. Old Loop line abolished. New Loop line junction further towards Melbourne and points motor operated.
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A
June 2005 Automatic and Track Control provided North Geelong Junction (Loop Line) - North Geelong Junction



NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.



Nine of 13 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.