North Geelong Junction

Junction
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 69.950 km
Track Diagram: View
Opened: April 11, 1862

A junction was first provided at North Geelong in 1862 with the opening of the Geelong - Ballarat line, initially known as 'West Geelong'. At the line of the line opening the line to Melbourne was a single line, and the lines to Geelong and Ballarat were double. Locomotives running from Melbourne to Ballarat were required to run around their trains at North Geelong in order to make the connection between the two lines. A loop line between 'A' and 'C' boxes was provided in 1903 to eliminate this requirement. In 1964 the 'other' connection in the triangle, between 'B' and 'C' boxes was singled, and downgraded to a siding in 2002. Today the junction's main use is for accessing North Geelong Yard.

Events


April 11, 1862 Opened
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
April 11, 1863 Line duplicated North Geelong Junction to Geelong - due to construction of line to Ballarat
April 30, 1922 Line duplicated North Geelong A to North Geelong B
Safeworking
April 11, 1863 Line duplicated North Geelong Junction to Geelong - due to construction of line to Ballarat
June 2005 Automatic and Track Control provided North Geelong Junction (Loop Line) - North Geelong Junction - Geelong

Top

Diagrams


NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

Top

Photos


Nine of 12 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Top

Related Locations


Sources