North Geelong Station

North Geelong Station
Station
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 69.981 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: August 1, 1883

North Geelong is a busy commuter station in the morning and afternoon, and has two side platforms. The brown brick station building is located on the Melbourne bound platform, beside the main carpark. A second small carpark is located on the Princes Highway side, with a pedestrian subway midway along the platform linking the two. Both platforms have concrete and steel facing with earth filling, except for the down end of both platforms which are on steel stilts. The North Geelong B signal box is located at the up end of the eastern platform, with North Geelong Yard is beyond.

History


A junction was first provided at North Geelong in 1862 when the Geelong - Ballarat line opened. The junction faced trains from Geelong, trains from Melbourne needing the run around. A signal box was provided to control the junction in 1879, with a 21 lever frame being provided.

'West Geelong' station as it was known opened for passengers in 1883, located on the Geelong side of the junction there was a platform on either side of the double line. The station opened for goods traffic the next year. 1886 saw the station renamed to North Geelong. By 1890 a number of sidings existed in the area.

1907 saw the junction rearranged, with the platform on the western side taken out of use (not being restored until 1920). Also at this time a combined booking office and signal bay was provided on the remaining platform. This signal bay remained in use until 1921 when the present North Geelong B signal box was opened.

Major changes occurred in 1973 with the elimination of the gates at Victoria Street, and it's replacement with an overpass at Margaret Street and a pedestrian underpass at the Geelong end of the station. 1976 saw the extension of the platforms, the down platform by 215 feet (65 metes) and the up platform by 205 feet (62 metres).

Top

Today


The current station building was opened on August 8th 1990 by Peter Spyker M.P. A new passenger shelter was erected on the Geelong bound platform 2 in May 2008, with purple Viclink signage provided at the same time. The same year the booking office was enlarged into the waiting room, to give more counter space. In August 2009 a forward projection of the waiting room towards the platform was removed, to enable access for wheelchairs to the up end of the platform.

For many years the station was only staffed during the morning peak, in 2009 it was altered to be open until around 7 pm at night, to reduce the number of tickets needing to be sold by conductors onboard V/Line trains.

Top

Events


August 1, 1883 Opened as West Geelong
January 28, 1885 New sidings provided
January 1, 1886 Renamed North Geelong (this month)
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
April 11, 1863 Line duplicated North Geelong Junction to Geelong - due to construction of line to Ballarat

Top

Diagrams


NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

Top

Photos


Nine of 15 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Ticket office

August 16, 2008

North Geelong station by night

February 09, 2008

Top

Related Locations


Sources