Phosphate Works

Lines: Geelong and WarrnamboolCorio Independent Goods Line
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: June 24, 1924

The Phosphate Works at North Shore opened in 1926, including the works themselves, railway sidings, and a wharf on Corio Bay for the importation of phosphate rock (guano) from the Pacific nation of Nauru. In May 2009 it was announced that the manufacturing plant would close by June 30, with the loss of 29 manufacturing jobs.

Company history

Operated by the 'Phosphate Co-Operative Company of Australia' which was formed in 1919 by farmers concerned about fertiliser prices. Later known as 'Pivot' the co-op expanded to have 43,000 Australian farmers as members, with the business establishing manufacturing plants, offices and distribution points across Australia. The company remained independent until 2003 when it merged with Incitec Fertilizer Ltd, the company being known as Incitec Pivot (Pivot making up 30%).



The Phosphate Sidings at the works received a major expansion in 1967 when an extra track towards Melbourne was laid, along with a number of additional sidings alongside the main line. Superphosphate was initially despatched in four-wheel open wagons, but the 1970s larger top-loading bottom-discharge bogies hoppers were introduced for bulk deliveries. The four-wheeled wagons were phased out by the 1980s, and by the 1990s only bulk traffic to distribution depots remained.

Rail distribution of superphosphate ended around 2003/04, this also being the last usage of the sidings inside the boundary fence works. The sidings remain in place today, but baulked on the up side of the level crossing for XXX. Despite the lack of usage, the level crossing was upgraded in 20xx in conjunction with the construction of road alterations for XXX.



North is down, the mainline connection is to the right.

Phosphate Works Sidings



June 24, 1924 Opened
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A



Nine of 23 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Inside the loading sheds

December 17, 2006