Rock

Crossing Loop
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 16.895 km
Track Diagram: View
Opened: May 15, 1928
Closed: October 22, 1967

Rock opened as an unattended crossing loop in 1928 in the long section Newport South - Laverton. Remote control was provided from Newport in 1931. It closed in 1967 with the duplication of the line either side.

Events


February 23, 1927 Temporary connection provided to new loop siding at Down end. Catch in signing and main line spiked.
May 15, 1928 Opened as unattended crossing loop in ATC section Newport South - Laverton. Points hand operated.
August 16, 1931 Remote control from Newport South provided
May 2, 1965 Line duplicated between Rock and Laverton. New line is on the West side of the existing line and is known as 'West' line. Both lines are worked by ATC. Down end points and signals at Rock abolished.
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated between Rock and Newport South. Rock abolished.
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
May 2, 1965 Line duplicated Rock to Laverton
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated Altona Junction to Laverton
Safeworking
May 15, 1928 Rock opened. Automatic and Track Control section now Newport South - Rock - Laverton
October 22, 1967 Rock closed. Automatic and Track Control section now Altona Junction - Laverton

Top

Sources