SEC Siding

Industry
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 13.478 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: November 9, 1952
Closed: September 1993

In 1949 the State Electricity Commission opened a fuel supply depot adjacent to the railway line at Paisley. The depot was used as a stockpile for coal for the nearby Newport Power Station.

In March 1961 electrified sidings were provided to the depot, with two sidings being parallel to the main line, leading to another siding inside the depot. L class electric locomotives supplied coal from the newly electrified Gippsland line. This traffic continued until the early 1970s, when the coal fired power plants at Newport closed.

The siding itself was not abolished until September 1993, with the Standard Gauge line built alongside by 1995. Some older style stanchions are still visible alongside the line. The site of the coal dump became a golf course and parkland, with a small section at the north-east developed by the Housing Commission, and the south-east turned over to the local miniature railway club.

Events


November 9, 1952 Opened
September 1993 Closed
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
October 22, 1967 Line duplicated Altona Junction to Laverton

Top

Sources