Separation Street Bridge

Road Overbridge
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 68.842 km
Track Diagram: View

The road bridge at Separation Street was one of two over bridges provided with the opening of the Geelong Line. (the other was at Church Street) On the opening day it was the site of a fatal accident, with Henry Walters (superintendent of locomotives for the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company) mortally injured after making contact with the bridge while on board the first Melbourne bound train.

The original bridge was built between 1857 and 1858 by the Geelong and Melbourne Railway Company, by their engineer Edward Snell. This bridge was replaced with an iron bridge completed in 1875, with the iron girders produced by Geelong's Humble and Company's foundry.

In 1959 the Grain Loop was constructed underneath the main Geelong - Melbourne line, and the North Geelong A to C link was relocated north, resulting in an additional road bridge being provided to the north of the existing road bridge to span the new tracks. In 1961/62 the Country Roads Board had extended the dual carriageways of the Princes Highway south to the bridge, but it was not until 1969 that they were extended south, the current Melbourne-bound bridge opened in 1969, and in 1970 the second bridge was opened for Geelong-bound traffic.

Each bridge has a narrow and unprotected footpath along the outer edge for pedestrians, and is located on a 'S' curve. The edge balustrades are all metal, and have been damaged multiple times by cars running out of control. In 2007/08 a drunk driver ran through the balustrade of the Melbourne bound bridge with their car landing onto the railway tracks below. The damage has still not been repaired. In 2008 the southern footpath was closed, with concrete barriers placed along the footpath in an effort to prevent any more cars falling off the bridge onto the railway line.

Sources