Shell Refinery

Industry
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 64.209 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: June 22, 1954

Opened in 1954 to serve the Shell Oil Refinery, a number of sidings branch off the main line to cater for oil traffic. An overhead gantry is provided to fill tanker cars with refined petroleum products (both diesel and petrol) for distribution throughout the state.

By 1977/78 an average of 12 tank cars of fuel was being despatched a week, with Shell sending 17,900 tonnes that year, along with 5,457 tonnes by Caltex and 2,791 tonnes by Esso. The refinery itself had a production capacity of 5,077,000 tones a year.

Block trains of fuel were introduced in 1973 to Wodonga, and to Mildura and Shepparton in 1982. Fuel haulage was deregulated in 1985. By July 1996 the refinery was the only rail served despatch point for petroleum in Victoria, destinations being Bendigo (California Gully), Kerang, Mildura, Shepparton, Swan Hill and the Wodonga Coal Sidings. Diesel was also railed to Portland, Dimboola and Geelong for locomotive depot use.

By about 2002 Swan Hill and Wodonga stopped receiving fuel by rail. By 2005 only Mildura and Shepparton remained rail served. In 2007 Shell begun to cease the distribution of fuel by rail in Victoria. The last depot served was at Shepparton, with the last train running in early 2008. The tank cars used for the service have been stored at North Geelong Yard, as well as the shunting float used to move the wagons at the refinery.

Events


February 2, 1954 Connection provided to Shell Oil Coy Siding under construction.
June 22, 1954 Shell Siding opened for traffic
May 30, 1977 Dead end extension of Shell Siding removed
Line Opened
November 1, 1856 Line opened Lara to Geelong
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
February 8, 1959 Line duplicated Corio to North Geelong A

Top

Diagrams


NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

Top

Photos


4 images found. Click them to enlarge.

Bitumen tanker filling station

Pipelines for the diesel and petrol filling station in the foreground

July 05, 2008

Top

Sources