Spotswood Signal Box

Signal Box
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Opened: May 23, 1890
Closed: 2001

Spotswood box was opened in 1890 with a No 6 pattern rocker frame, with 19 levers and a gate wheel. It was located at the up side of the station next to the Hudson Road level crossing.

In 1913 the frame was extended to 22 levers, and in 1947 a 2 lever panel was provided to control points on the power station branch. In 1977 the frame was altered due to the provision of remote control from Newport A.

Boom barriers were provided at Hall Street in 1986, removing the gate wheel from the signal box. In 1995 switch out facilities were provided. The box was closed in the 2001 when the last remaining sidings at Spotswood for the glass works were disconnected.

Events


May 23, 1890 Opened
2001 Closed
Line Opened
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
(January 19, 1887) Line duplicated Yarraville to Spotswood

Top

Photos


Nine of 40 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Top

Related Locations


Sources