Spotswood Station

Spotswood Station
Station
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Distance from Melbourne: 9.220 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: December 1, 1878

Spotswood is a minor suburban station with two platforms on two tracks. The up and down platform station buildings are of matching design, with the main building for Melbourne bound passengers. Both are boarded off and disused. A subway runs underneath the tracks and the platforms linking them, while the disused signal box is located at the up end beside the Hudson Road level crossing.

History


The station opened in April 1878 as 'Edom', being renamed 'Bayswater' on September 1 1881, Spottiswoode on October 1, 1881, and finally Spotswood on August 1, 1905.

Spotswood had a number of goods sidings early on, located on both the up and down sides of the station. The Spotswood Pumping Station was one of the first major industries, being opened in the 1890s. The siding at the up end on the western side was removed in 1892, the wood siding at the down end on the east side was removed in 1904. The remaining sidings were only on the west side of the tracks, which is industrial. In 1914 the Power Station and Oil Lines branch opened to the south to serve Newport power station, and later oil sidings in the area. To the north of the station were more oil sidings, the AGM glassworks siding, and two public sidings, 155 metres and 55 metres long.

The oil wharf and power station lines were removed from service at an unknown date in the 1990s. By 1996 only the glass sidings (Siding A) and a ~180 metre long siding parallel to the main line remained. The AGM siding fell out of use with the end of sand trains from Koala Siding (near Nyora on the South Gippsland line) in 1998. The signal box, siding, dwarf signals and crossover at the up end were all decommissioned in August 2001, and later straight railed. The remains of a number of the sidings were lifted in 2007 by the local council, as they ran along public roads.

Top

Events


December 1, 1878 Opened
March 18, 1904 Old Wood siding removed
March 8, 1912 Crossover provided at Down end of platform
(December 22, 1913) Connection provided to Power House line (under construction)
(January 26, 1914) Power House line open for plant trains to temporary siding near Douglas Parade. Worked by Train Staff only.
(July 6, 1914) Power House line open for traffic.
February 18, 1928 Subway provided at Hudson Road
December 18, 1947 Flashing lights provided at Hall Street (Power House line)
October 20, 1954 Overhead alive, Power House line
April 9, 1986 Boom Barriers at Hall Street (Power House line)
October 22, 1989 Manually controlled boom barriers replace interlocked gates at Hudson Road
Line Opened
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
(January 19, 1887) Line duplicated Spotswood - Spotswood
Safeworking
(January 19, 1887) Double Line Block provided Yarraville - Spotswood - Newport
March 24, 1929 Automatic Block System provided Yarraville - Spotswood - Newport

Top

Diagrams


NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

Top

Photos


Nine of 29 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Overview from the south

January 25, 2009

Top

Related Locations


Sources