Wensleydale Station

Line: Wensleydale
Distance from Melbourne: 114.907 km
Track Diagram: View
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: March 17, 1890
Closed: October 12, 1948

The terminus of the Wensleydale line was the most elaborately appointed station, with a 300 feet timber passenger platform located on the east side of the main line, with two loop sidings for locomotive run around and goods loading provided.

Space was provided for an extra track between number 1 and 2 roads, but was never provided. In the 1920s the main line was converted to a goods siding, permitting the otherwise disused passenger platform to be used for the loading of fire wood.

An ash pit and 50 foot turntable were provided on a dead end extension at the south end of number 2 road, accessed via a double compound set of points. No watering or coaling facilities were provided, so steam locomotives ran with a single load of coal from Geelong, with a top up of water at Moriac.


March 17, 1890 Opened
October 12, 1948 Closed
Line Opened
March 17, 1890 Line opened Moriac to Wensleydale
March 17, 1890 Staff and Ticket provided Moriac - Wensleydale
Line Closed
October 12, 1948 Line closed Moriac to Wensleydale



NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.

 Wensleydale on opening