Werribee Signal Box

Signal Box
Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Opened: ((November 7, 1896))

In 1896 Werribee was interlocked with a 16 lever frame. This signal box was closed in 1910 when the frame was extended to 20 levers, and relocated to a new signal bay combined with the ticket office.

1917 saw a new 35 lever frame provided, presumably in the same spot. may 1927 saw the station catch fire, and a new frame was provided in February 1928. In 1931 a panel was provided for the remote control of Drome loop.

1963 saw an unusual set of manually control boom gates installed at Cherry Street, controlled by lever 19 on the frame. 1973 saw the abolition of the mechanical frame and replacement with a panel. Remote control of Little River was also provided at this time,until it was removed in 2006 when control was transferred to Geelong.

Events


((November 7, 1896)) Opened
Line Opened
June 25, 1857 Line officially opened between Geelong and at temporary terminus at Greenwich. A ferry was used the complete the journey to Melbourne
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
October 25, 1970 Line duplicated Werribee to Little River

Top

Photos


Nine of 50 images found displayed. Click them to enlarge.

Former loading bank

Looking towards the station proper

February 26, 2008

Former loading bank

Looking towards the station proper

February 26, 2008

Goods shed ruins

February 26, 2008

Up end, goods yard

Looking back towards Melbourne, goods yard was to the right

February 26, 2008

Goods shed ruins

February 26, 2008

Silo remains

Circular concrete foundations in the goods yard

February 26, 2008

Up end, goods yard

Looking back towards the station proper, goods yard was to the left

February 26, 2008

Goods shed ruins

February 26, 2008

Top

Related Locations


Sources