Williamstown Line

Line: Geelong and Warrnambool
Google Maps: Satellite /  Map
Opened: January 17, 1859

The Williamstown line was opened on January 17 1859 from Footscray to Williamstown Pier, and enabled the Geelong line to reach Melbourne. Originally to be built by the Melbourne, Mount Alexander and Murray River Railway Company, they collapsed and it was left to the newly former Victorian Railways to complete the line.

Along the line at various times, sidings existed between Newport and North Williamstown stations, as well as between North Williamstown and Williamstown Beach stations. The down end of Williamstown station was an even larger collection of siding leading towards the various piers in the area. After the port of Williamstown went into decline all sidings have been progressively removed, and the line is now considered the 'branch' from the line to Geelong.


January 17, 1859 Opened
Line Opened
October 3, 1857 Temporary Greenwich terminal and stub line closed. Geelong line now connected to the partially completed Williamstown line. A ferry complete the journey from Williamstown to Melbourne
January 17, 1859 Williamstown line finally completed to Melbourne. Geelong trains can now operate direct to Spencer Street Station
Track Amplified
(March 18, 1885) Line duplicated Newport to Newport South



NOTE: Diagrams are not to scale.